Requirements for the submission
To participate in the Romance Writing Life competition we require 3 key things.
#1. You must register an account through the Kobo Writing Life platform to submit your entry.
#2. A 500 word synopsis.
#3. The first chapter of your story.
It’s really important that you take the time to read the T’s & C’s for the competition in full but here are some key pointers on the presentation of your submission that must be followed for us to accept your entry.
- Your submission should be in English, in a single Word document in 12-point, double-spaced font;
- You must own the rights to your submission and NOT have published it previously – although self-publishing digitally is accepted;
- Your Synopsis should be no more than 500 words, and should outline the story concept, plot, characters, conflict and setting;
- Your First Chapter should be no more than 5,000 words;
- The first page of your Submission should contain the following information: the title, your name, e-mail address and phone number (including applicable country and area code), and a computer word count of the First Chapter;
- Make sure pages are numbered in the header and each page contains the title and your name.
You can download a template [here] that adheres to the above criteria. Remember to also follow the below editorial and review process guidance though too.
Remember, the M&B Single Title imprint is a commercial romantic fiction list. We’re looking for strong, hook-driven stories, with real mass-market appeal. Perfect for readers who enjoy Jenny Colgan, Sophie Kinsella, Mhairi McFarlane and curling up with a good rom-com. Mills & Boon Single Title publishes exciting, contemporary women’s fiction filled romantic spark and featuring a love story at heart.
Review Process Criteria
We will be judging entries on three key criteria:
- Voice: This is what makes you special as a writer, and is the unique element that makes your writing stand out from the crowd. These are the quirks and hallmarks that make a novel unmistakably your work. Voice is what will keep bringing fans back to your writing book after book.
- Content: Content is plot and what the story is about, (i.e. what makes this a story that needs to be told?). We sometimes call this the commercial hook, and are looking for stories that are compelling enough that you could pitch them in a sentence.
- Writing Skills: Is your writing strong and clear enough to convey meaning and emotion easily?
[Enter your name]
[Enter your email]
[Enter your mobile phone number including country and area code]
[Enter computer word count of first chapter]
Your Synopsis should be no more than 500 words, and should outline the story concept, plot, characters, conflict and setting;
Your First Chapter should be no more than 5,000 words. This document should be 12 point font and double-spaced. This template is pre-set with those settings.